News By/Courtesy: Yash Keshari | 04 Jun 2020 16:24pm IST

HIGHLIGHTS

  • Back in 2010, OTT platforms were not popular and were often mocked and criticized by people for investing corpus in such an area.
  • The people in India considered the OTT subscription somewhat to be a luxury service until the pandemic made its way in India in March.
  • People have realized that they have to watch movies and TV shows from their homes due to preventive measures of social distancing.

The digital revolution which started back in the 1980s has already crossed the 5th stop in the year 2000 when video on demand concept was introduced by Netflix, the world’s biggest online subscription service. The video-on-demand service was introduced to ease the tension of humans for the hunger of entertainment such that they could watch movies and TV serials without going to cinemas and sit in front of the TV as per fixed schedule. This gave rise to the Over-the-top service content as we know today.

Back in 2010, OTT platforms were not popular and were often mocked and criticized by people for investing corpus in such an area. In India, the rise of Hotstar, a subsidiary of “Novi Star Digital Entertainment”, in 2018 should be analyzed for how OTT platforms made their way in India.

Reasons for the success of OTT platforms

The people in India considered the OTT subscription somewhat to be a luxury service until the pandemic made its way in India in March. Even the world felt the need for an OTT subscription in comparison to a cable TV subscription. The digital data revolution, started by Ambanis with JIO, lowered mobile data prices in India up to 120%(1), which successfully helped to capture the majority of the Indians and connected them with the OTT platforms. Reliance JIO further solved the hindrance of high-speed data streaming, which the subscribers needed to watch the shows on OTT platforms.

The present OTT subscribers in INDIA include Netflix, Disney+Hotstar, Prime Video, SonyLiv, ALT Balaji, VOOT, Zee5, and many more. The popular among them are Disney+Hotstar, Netflix, and Prime Video.

 

Reasons for the success of Hotstar, Prime Video, and Netflix

 

Among all other OTT platforms, subscribing to the above mentioned OTT platforms are worth something. Hotstar alone captures a 70% share of OTT platforms in INDIA, leaving 30% share among the others. The large database of movies and originals paved the way for Netflix and Prime Video in India for its premium subscribers. However, the story of the success of Hotstar comes from its “live Broadcasting” of the sports. Since Hotstar is a subsidiary of Star India Pvt. Ltd., all the content of which is accessible to the parent company is also available to the subsidiary company like TV serials and live sports broadcasting. Walt Disney Studios has recently acquired Hotstar, and now it also showcases shows from Disney+, HBO Originals, ABC Studios, etc. which has further increased its demand in the Indian OTT market.

 

The effect of the pandemic

 

The pandemic has surely benefitted the OTT/VOD platforms worldwide. People have realized that they have to watch movies and TV shows from their homes due to preventive measures of social distancing. Also, the OTT platforms keep releasing the “Original shows”, which have become quite popular among the Indians because of its content. It is only an assumption that subscription for OTT will rise by 33% by the end of the year 2020. Even if lockdown ends in India with limited access to theaters and cinemas, the pandemic will still force people to watch shows from their homes as a method their prevention.

Many network operators are also giving free subscriptions along with their subscription to their subscribers. These include Airtel, ACT Broadband, JIO Fiber, JIO Mobility, Vodafone Play, and many more.

 

Sources:

  1. https://www.jio.com/jio-4g-prepaid-data-voucher
THIS ARTICLE DOES NOT INTEND TO HURT THE SENTIMENTS OF ANY INDIVIDUALCOMMUNITYSECTOR RELIGION ETCETERA. THIS ARTICLE IS BASED PURELY ON THE AUTHOR'S PERSONAL VIEWS AND OPINIONS IN THE EXERCISE OF THE FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT GUARANTEED UNDER ARTICLE 19(1)(AAND OTHER RELATED LAWS BEING FORCE IN INDIAFOR THE TIME BEING.

Section Editor: Pushpit Singh | 04 Jun 2020 22:35pm IST


Tags : Coronavirus, Covid-19, Entertainment, Video on demand, Over the top, Netflix, Hotstar, Web series

Latest News







Copyright Kalyan Krishna MediaZ Private Limited. All rights reserved. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials on these pages are copyrighted by Kalyan Krishna MediaZ Private Limited. All rights reserved. No part of these pages, either text or image may be used for any purpose. By continuing past this page, you agree to our Terms of Service, Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy and Content Policies.