News By/Courtesy: Parimala Ronanki | 30 May 2021 23:41pm IST

HIGHLIGHTS

  • NASA’s Perseverance Rover makes breathable oxygen on Mars.
  • working of Moxie-in extracting O2.
  • requirement of oxygen if anyone is sent to mars for human exploration.

Recently, NASA announced that they have successfully converted carbon dioxide from the Martian atmosphere into pure breathable oxygen. In mars, the atmosphere is fragile, so unprecedented oxygen extraction from that thin layer is an achievement to be said. This was achieved by sending an experimental device. This device is a six-wheeled science rover that landed on the red planet after a seven-month journey from the earth. So on this rover, a device is placed that is named moxie, which produces oxygen from Martian CO2. This device is a tiny device that is toaster-sized. Many tests are still yet to be done, but in the recent test, it was found out that 5 grams of oxygen were produced. NASA said that if any astronaut went to mars, that amount would be equivalent to 10 minutes worth of breathing for an astronaut for one time. So here the question comes how does it work? This device works in the process of electrolysis. Basically, in this, what happened is because of heat in this extreme heat generated so through this only in mars the carbon dioxide which is present from that it separates the oxygen particles. In mars, it is said that 95% of the atmosphere is contained in CO2, and the remaining 5% consists of nitrogen and argon. Oxygen and water are said to be available in negligible amounts. But an abundant supply is considered critical to eventual human exploration of the red planet, both as a sustainable source of breathable air for astronauts and a necessary ingredient for rocket fuel to fly them home. Here, the question that arises is how much oxygen is required if anyone is sent to mars for human exploration? According to NASA, for four astronauts, if they want to return to earth from Mars, then, in that case, the rocket fuel is required about seven metric tons. And there is no use of this rocket fuel when there is no oxygen available, so it is said that along with seven metric tons of fuel, 25 metric tons of oxygen is also required for coming back. But carrying 25 metric tons of O2 in a cylinder is a strenuous task due to it being heavy to carry. But if the one-ton oxygen-converted machine is taken up there, that will be much merrier than all other options. Moxie is devised to engender up to 10 grams per hour as a proof of concept, and scientists plan to run the device at least another nine to ten times over the next two years under different conditions and speed. And see whether it is feasible to be used or not.

 

This Article Does Not Intend To Hurt The Sentiments Of Any Individual Community, Sect, Or Religion Etcetera. This Article Is Based Purely On The Authors Personal Views And Opinions In The Exercise Of The Fundamental Right Guaranteed Under Article 19(1)(A) And Other Related Laws Being Force In India, For The Time Being. Further, despite all efforts made to ensure the accuracy and correctness of the information published, 5thVoice.News shall not be responsible for any errors caused due to human error or otherwise.

Section Editor: 5thVoice.News | 30 May 2021 3:06am IST


Tags : # NASA #moxie #mars.

Latest News







Copyright Kalyan Krishna MediaZ Private Limited. All rights reserved. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials on these pages are copyrighted by Kalyan Krishna MediaZ Private Limited. All rights reserved. No part of these pages, either text or image may be used for any purpose. By continuing past this page, you agree to our Terms of Service, Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy and Content Policies.