The United Arab Emirates intercepted and destroyed two ballistic missiles fired by the Houthi group targeting its capital Abu Dhabi on Monday. The defence ministry of UAE has confirmed that there are no casualties from the strike, following a deadly attack a week earlier in the country.
The Ministry of Defence for the United Arab Emirates (UAE) blamed Yemen’s Houthi rebels for the attack. The same terrorist group claimed responsibility for last week’s attack on Abu Dhabi.
According to a statement issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, the UAE "reserves its right to retaliate to these terrorist attacks and this sinful criminal escalation,"
The ministry also said that after the attack on January 17th, the UAE government is ready to deal with any threats and that they will take all measures to protect the country from any attacks towards its country. This is said in a statement reported by the official WAM news agency.
There has been friction between Yemen’s Houthis rebels and the Saudi-led coalition (Including the UAE) for more than six years. There have been repeated cross-border missile and drone attacks on Saudi Arabia, the attack on UAE last week on Jan 17 was an unprecedented assault by the Houthis. The UAE is a member of a Saudi-led military coalition backing Yemen in its seven-year fight against the Houthi rebels, the conflict which has killed and displaced millions. This situation has been described by the United Nations as the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.
On January 17th, the Houthi rebels targeted a fuel depot in the country and the new construction area of the Abu Dhabi International Airport which are both civilian infrastructures. The explosion of the fuel depot killed two Indians, one Pakistani national and injured six other civilians. The Saudi-led coalition hit back after this deadly attack on Abu Dhabi with an airstrike in a building in the Yemeni Capital of Sana’s which killed 14 persons.
The recent attack did not result in any causalities as it was intercepted by the defence ministry, the remnants of the intercepted missiles fell in separate areas around Abu Dhabi causing damage to industrial areas in the southern part of the country.
The UN Security Council announced in a press statement on Friday that they strongly condemned the “heinous” terror attacks on Abu Dhabi as well as in other sites in Saudi Arabia where innocent lives were killed, they also expressed condolences to the family of the victims. The council members reaffirmed that terrorism in any form constitutes one of the most serious threats to international peace and security.
The UAE government has banned all flying operations of private drones and light sports aircraft in the country for a month because of these attacks, this also encompasses a ban on all air and sail sports. This decision was taken after identifying misuse in the areas of the sports in user permits and trespassing into areas where these types of activities are prohibited.
Tags : #uae #attack #yemen #saudiarabia #strike #missilestrike #humanitarianconcern #humanitarian #Ministry #unsc #un #wam #pressstatement #press #houthi #intercepted